History of Street Names

4th Quadrant

Street Name: Brack Court

Description:

Named after Mr. Lawrence Brack. He was the landowner of the area currently known as MacCormack Ranch. The land was sold to North Prairie...

Read More

Street Name: Friesen Cove

Description:

Friesen Cove was named after Rob Friesen who was the mayor of the Town of Martenville from 1988 to 1993. He lived here with his with Dellene and...

Read More

Street Name: Geransky Crescent

Description:

Geransky Bros Concrete was founded in 1975 by brothers Ed and Irvin with brother Dennis, joining the company in 1977. Dennis became the sole owner...

Read More

Street Name: Martens Crescent

Description:

Dave and Helen (Hiebert) moved to the area in 1938/39. They purchased 250 acres of land just north of what is now known as Main Street. Soon...

Read More

Street Name: Slater Crescent

Description:

In 1977, Dennis Slater had a passion for building homes, a desire to run...

Read More
Street Name: Brack Court
Description

Named after Mr. Lawrence Brack. He was the landowner of the area currently known as MacCormack Ranch. The land was sold to North Prairie Developments. Brack Court resides within the MacCormack Ranch community. A title search of the area indicates that that parcel was possibly owned in the 1930s by a fellow named MacCormack. More research is needed to confirm this.

Street Name: Friesen Cove
Description

Friesen Cove was named after Rob Friesen who was the mayor of the Town of Martenville from 1988 to 1993. He lived here with his with Dellene and their daughter from 1978-1993. Rob spent most of these years involved in the development of the town. He was instrumental in getting the Sports Arena, and after 5 years as a town councillor, served as mayor for another 5 years.

During his years on Council, the population grew from 2243 to 3492. Until this time, there was nothing north of 3rd Street North. Soon after, Klassen Crescent and Bay, the North Hills Park drainage system, and the Reddekopp lift station were developed to accomodate the growth. Land was annexed for Venture Heights Elementary School and was in the planning stages at this point.

On the east side of town, the present day Kinsmen Park area was designated for community use and the land across Main Street to the south (present day Derksen Place, Hamm Terrace, and Brack Court) was purchased and annexed into the city.

In the established part of town, development was happening too. The present day Fire Hall, Spray Park, and Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church were built. Centennial Drive saw 30 new street lights installed and former businesses became the the new Town Office (which was moved from another location) and the Martensville Alliance Church. Paving of the residential streets became a priority at this time.

Other things Ron and Council worked on were lobbying the Provincial Government to twin the #12 Highway, replacing the Bookmobile with a library, and obtaining the RCMP as the town's police force. All of these projects were finalixed a few years after Ron's terms in office.

 

Street Name: Geransky Crescent
Description

Geransky Bros Concrete was founded in 1975 by brothers Ed and Irvin with brother Dennis, joining the company in 1977. Dennis became the sole owner and is now partnered with his 2 sons Corey and Ryan Geransky. They have been a longstanding business in the residential concrete industry in our community. Their business is located at 931 Centennial Drive South.

Street Name: Martens Crescent
Description

Dave and Helen (Hiebert) moved to the area in 1938/39. They purchased 250 acres of land just north of what is now known as Main Street. Soon after, many people wanted to move to the area so Dave began selling off his land in lots. He was instrumental in forming the first school in our community, which opened in 1953. The Martensville Mennonite Church sits on land donated by him. Dave served as a member of the hamlet board of Martensville which was then part of the RM of Warman and was also elected chairman in 1963. Dave Martens died in December of 1984 and is buried in the cemetery in Warman, SK.

Street Name: Slater Crescent
Description

In 1977, Dennis Slater had a passion for building homes, a desire to run his own business, and an opportunity to make his mark in Saskatoon and area, so he founded D&S Homes and built his first home in Saskatoon. D&S Homes began developing residential areas of our city in the late nineties and early 2000.

From the beginning, D&S Homes - “Dennis & Sons”- has been a family run and family-focused company from a management point of view right down to the style of homes they have built in our community.

All told, they’ve built over 800 homes in Saskatchewan over the last 40 years.

Have a Question?

We are here to help you

Click here