The City of Martensville purchases treated water from Saskatchewan Water Corporation, which is supplied to them by the City of Saskatoon. Martensville water and sewer is processed through our water distribution/sewage collection system.

As the City continues to grow, and to meet the demand for water and sewer services in the long-term, our infrastructure will require upgrades. 

MOU with the City of Saskatoon

In February 2014 the City signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the City of Saskatoon to provide water and waste water services to Martensville.

We are examining the best options for maintaining and upgrading our existing water and wastewater infrastructure, and are planning a large capital upgrade and renewal project to meet increased environmental regulations, and an expected doubling of our population by 2040.

We completed a business case that confirmed the most efficient means by which to address waste water is through a connection from Martensville to Saskatoon. We are awaiting confirmation regarding our success in receiving federal and provincial funding (2/3 of the total cost) to complete the capital upgrade and renewal project.


To set up an account, complete and send the Water & Sewer Utility Service Form, along with your deposit to City Hall at 37 Centennial Drive South, Box 970  Martensville, SK  S0K 2T0

Please note: The water meter deposit is required before move in or possession date.

Bills are mailed monthly and payment is due upon receipt and is considered to be in arrears if not paid within thirty (30) days. 

Accounts are overdue after 30 days, and will be charged 2.5% interest on the outstanding balance.  If the account remains unpaid after 60 days, a reminder notice will be sent that your account is now 60 days in arrears and must be paid within seven (7) days.  If the account remains unpaid after the 7 day period, a registered letter will be sent advising the deadline for payment must be made within 30 days.  At this point, a $25.00 service fee will be added to your account.  If arrears are not paid at the end of the 30-day period, service may be disconnected and/or added to your property taxes.  If services are disconnected, there is a $50.00 reconnection fee if service is connected during regular work hours, or $100.00 if after regular working hours.

Lost or Misplaced Bills

Bills are mailed within the first ten days of the month. If you do not receive a bill or misplace it, please contact us and we will advise of the balance owing on your account. Please be aware that such situations do not warrant waiver of late charges.

You may also make monthly or weekly payments to correspond with your paydays. Payment can be made by Cash, Cheque, Internet, Telephone Banking, or Debit Card.

Change of Address

Have you moved? Change Your Address 

Water & Sewer Reports

The Water Security Agency leads the management of the province's water resources to ensure safe drinking water sources and reliable water supplies for economic, environmental and social benefits for Saskatchewan people.   

If you have questions about where your water comes from please visit Water Security Agency

Annual Waterworks Financial Overview

Water Quality and Compliance Annual Notice to Consumers


Drainage & Flooding


The City of Martensville uses a combination of surface drainage and storm sewer to drain water. Water is directed into storm water retention ponds prior to exiting the City via the Opimihaw Creek.

Water pooling on your property can seep into your house, harm vegetation, and be a breeding ground mosquitoes.

Landowners are responsible for ensuring water does not run onto an adjacent property and that the flow of water is not restricted by fences built across the rear of the property.

Drainage swales can be placed along the rear of properties that do not have rear lanes, or along the side yards between properties to help direct water either to the street or to the rear of the property. These swales must remain in place and be incorporated into the landscaping of the property.


Saskatchewan Health provides information on flooding prevention and links to additional information on flooding and flood prevention.

Sump Pump Tips

Maintain your approved lot grade plan.  Do not change this plan when you landscape your property.  Sump pump pipes should discharge water at least two meters from the back foundation wall onto your back yard

If your sump pump discharges on the ground, place a splash pad below where the sump pump discharge pipe comes through the foundation wall.

Use long pipes to drain away sump pump discharge.  A flexible hose with holes works well to distribute the water to your back yard.

Slope the ground below the discharge pipe down and away from the foundation wall.

Never turn off your sump pump.

Do not hook up your sump drainage to the sanitary sewer system.  The sanitary sewer system is designed to manage normal flows of sewage, not rainwater or water from sump pumps.

It is dangerous to drain sump water on to the sidewalk.  Freezing can result in ice build-up and a slippery surface which can result in a liability issue for the homeowner.

Consider a backup battery system for your sump pump in case of power outages.

Building a New Home?

Water must be directed property through final grading of your property, and the best methods to direct water depend on your setting and the contour of the land.

Land developers must establish suitable lot grades for every lot sold in Martensville based on a design established by the City engineer. An elevation plan will be attached to your Development Permit. When the land surveyor stakes your basement, he/she will establish that grade on the ground for the concrete contractor. Constructing your house at the proper level is extremely important both for the appearance of the home, and to ensure proper functioning of the drainage system. Both can affect the resale value of your home when you decide to sell.

Grade Elevations

Frequently Asked Questions about Flooding & Drainage

My neighbor has built/altered his yard to a different elevation than mine. What can the City do about it?
Martensville homeowners are sometimes faced with drainage and related problems because of the grading of their own and/or neighboring properties. As these properties are privately owned, the City of Martensville can only make suggestions to provide advice about how a problem of this type might be resolved. The problem is a civil issue that can be resolved best by the affected parties involved (you and your neighbor).

After a rainfall, my yard becomes flooded because my neighbor's downspouts discharge directly onto my property. What should I do?
The most obvious solution is to talk to your neighbor and make them aware of the problem. It is the responsibility of each resident to ensure that their downspouts (roof leaders) drain onto their own property and away from their house.

I have a flat concrete pile along the property line of my property. What is it? What is it for?
The structure in question is likely a concrete elevation pile. Lot Grade Elevation Piles can be identified by a plate marked “Final Grade” on the top and can be found at the back of the property either along a side or rear property line. The purpose of an elevation pile is to assist property owners to find the correct finished grade of their property and direct surface storm water runoff away off their property. It is important for homeowners to ensure that their yard is graded to drain water as directed by the Lot Grading Plan designed by the City engineer. A concrete elevation pile is typically shared between adjacent neighbors and because of this, it is important to keep the pile free of garbage, dirt or other debris as this could prevent the intended flow of water and cause damage to your upstream neighbor's property.

My neighbor's yard is built considerably higher than mine and therefore all of his rainwater and irrigation water flows into my yard. What can be done to stop this?
Talk to your neighbour. Determine which lot is not to grade and properly grade it to the correct elevation. If this is not practical, investigate whether constructing a retaining wall between your properties will solve this problem. In most situations where there is significant difference in elevations between yards, a retaining wall will benefit both homeowners. The yard of lower elevation should receive less of his neighbor's runoff water and the owner of the property of higher elevation, should benefit as his side yard will not have such a dramatic slope, which will provide them with more useable yard.

I've just bought a new home, how do I know if my homebuilder graded my yard properly?
Every new residential lot developed in the City of Martensville has been assigned grades so that all lots drain in a contiguous manner. An elevation plan will be attached to your Development Permit. Elevation piles are installed by the land developer in the rear of the property to assist home owners grading their individual properties according to the engineered plan. Check to see if the elevation plan is on the City web site and compare this to your property. Correct the site grading if the yard is not to grade.

I live in an older home and experience flooding in my basement after rainstorms. How can I prevent this?
Check your yard's lot grading, particularly around your home's foundation as settlement is likely to occur over time. Older homes were required to bring the finished grade level to a minimum 450mm above the back of the sidewalk. Down spouts should be directed away from the foundation and take the water away from the perimeter of the house at least two meters to keep water from saturating the foundation and overwhelming the weeping tile. Snow should be removed away from the foundation in spring prior to melting. Seal all cracks in your foundation and between your house and driveway.

Why is it important to keep storm water out of the sanitary sewer system?
Unauthorized connections put more water into the sanitary sewer system than it is designed to handle. This increases the risk of sewage backup and basement flooding. Environmental and health concerns escalate when the sanitary sewer system is overtaxed. Sewage may not be treated as effectively. Raw sewage may be diverted into the river or holding areas.

Contact us

Have a question